Friends can make all the difference. Learn the signs of depression and suicide.
Warning signs of depression & suicide may include:
- Prolonged mood & behavior changes
- Feeling hopeless or no sense of purpose
- Withdrawing from friends, family
- Reckless behavior
- Change in appetite or sleep patterns
- Talking or writing about death, suicide
- Seeking access to guns, pills
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Giving away precious possessions
To help a friend, remember to:
- Talk to your friend and ask him or her if they are feeling down,
thinking of hurting themselves or thinking about suicide
- LISTEN and do not judge their feelings.
- Tell your friend that you care and will help her or him get help.
- Then talk to an adult—like a teacher, counselor, mentor or parent—or call the
White Bird: 541-687-4000 (Local) 1-800-422-7558 (Toll-free)
Looking Glass Youth Crisis Line: 541-689-3111
Check out other resources on our site: www.preventionlane.org/suicide.htm