The slides below include what we discussed in class and, as noted, provide additional content for your reference. Questions or comments? Contact me. Best wishes in all you do!
- “The Fantasy Sports Gamble,“(PBS FRONTLINE, 2/9/16)
- “Is it Gambling? How States View Daily Fantasy Sports,” (PBS FRONTLINE, 2/8/16)
- “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Daily Fantasy Sports,” 11/15/15
- Daily Fantasy Sports, Beyond the Lawsuits: Facts, Fantasy, and What You Should Know (PreventionLane)
- Virtual Hope Box (recovery app) [Android |Apple]
What we discussed in class:
- History & trends of gambling
- Defining gambling disorders
- Addiction & mental health connections
- Gambling & the brain
- Addressing the issue – prevention, intervention and treatment
Can you think of any other behavioral issues that you think should be classified as addictions? Which ones? What are arguments for/against issues being called “addictions?”
IS SOMEONE YOU KNOW… •
- Gambling to escape problems
- Chasing” losses with more gambling
- Lying to family and others about the extent of gambling
- Committing crimes to finance gambling
- Jeopardizing or losing relationships, jobs, education because of gambling
- Relying on others to bail him or her out relieve a desperate financial situation caused by gambling
The brain, dopamine and gambling:
Dopamine not released when expecting a loss. The brain IS flooded with dopamine when expecting a win!
It’s not about the money – it’s about the action of the game and the hope of winning.