The slides below include what we discussed in class and, as noted, provide additional content for your reference. Questions or comments? Contact me. Best wishes in all you do!
- A small insight into fantasy sports (video): America’s Latest Obsession: Fantasy Football (CBS News)
- Another interesting fantasy sports (article): How Fake Sports Are Turning Man Cave Dwellers Into Millionaires (Bloomberg)
- Virtual Hope Box (recovery app) [Android |Apple]
What we discussed in class:
- History & trends of gambling
- Defining gambling disorders
- Addiction & mental health connections
- Gambling & the brain
- Addressing the issue – prevention, intervention and treatment
Can you think of any other behavioral issues that you think should be classified as addictions? Which ones? What are arguments for/against issues being called “addictions?”
IS SOMEONE YOU KNOW… •
- Gambling to escape problems
- Chasing” losses with more gambling
- Lying to family and others about the extent of gambling
- Committing crimes to finance gambling
- Jeopardizing or losing relationships, jobs, education because of gambling
- Relying on others to bail him or her out relieve a desperate financial situation caused by gambling
The brain, dopamine and gambling:
Dopamine not released when expecting a loss. The brain IS flooded with dopamine when expecting a win!
It’s not about the money – it’s about the action of the game and the hope of winning.
Sign-Up to Get Your 10 Tips to Teen Proof Your Home FREE!
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting news and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.